Sunday 26 May 2013

The Perks of Being A Probationary Librarian


Form One. New school. New beginnings. A year ago, I entered secondary school. I admit that I was really scared during my orientation as I did not know many people. During a trip around the school, we entered the Library. It was big in my eyes and towards the end of the visit; a Librarian asked me if I would like to be a Librarian. Being a Librarian was on my bucket list so I immediately agreed.

A few weeks later, I was called back to be interviewed. As I stepped in the room butterflies started to flutter in my stomach. I was asked many questions. One of the questions that were being asked was if I had to choose between tuition and Librarian duty, which would I choose? As I didn’t attend tuition I immediately answered Librarian duty.

A month later, I was chosen to be a probationary Librarian and I had to undergo probation for 6 months. I alongside other probationary Librarians were given a tag and a sheet of paper which contained the tasks that we had to complete within our probation period. We had to produce two artworks, we were also expected to process 5 books each month for 4 months in a computer program known as S-Lib and we also had to write 5 book reviews each month for 4 months. We had a lot of work to do but instead during our first few meetings we played games to build a bond between us probationary Librarians and the senior Librarians.

After 6 months of probation, I realized that I have bonded with the Library and the Librarians as well as the probationary Librarians too. Finally, after being elected as a Librarian, there was an annual high tea and it was lots of fun. The food was delicious and the performances were awesome. There was even an awards ceremony where we get to choose the best Librarian in a few hilarious categories. Brittany, who was the Head Librarian at that time managed to sweep five awards including Best Librarian and Cutest Librarian. Four newbies even managed to win some awards. They are Ang Ji (Mysterious Librarian), Alicia Ho (Hyper Librarian), Claire Richard (Best Probationary Librarian) and Daim Hashim (Best Dressed).

At the end, I realized that being a Librarian isn’t just about shushing people and handling books, but it’s about being a family and just being ourselves.

So, to all Librarians, thanks for making me feel welcome in our one big, crazy family.
 
TOWARDS SUCCESS WE WORK TOGETHER! :)
 
Anonymous Probationary Librarian
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

More to read

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...