Wednesday 19 June 2013

I am Eager to Learn...

Serene Khoo
Assistant Secretary (2013)
When I took a few steps back in time, back to the time I first walked through the doors, I laughed at my immaturity, [when I said] the reason I made the decision to be a Librarian.

'I love books and I love to read.'

What was in my mind about the Library that day? Books, books, books, and more books. The senior Librarians must have been sighing and shaking their heads at me, for the Library isn't made up of only books.

Somehow, I was able to impress the senior Librarians and passed the interview. I was as happy as a lark and flew happily into probation. To be honest, at that time, I still thought that Library was all about books.

'What's so hard about handling books?'

My immaturity back then amazed me. My mind was still set on books even when I was introduced to the works of the Library! That year, I was put into aesthetics subunit, which got me scratching my head.

'What does aesthetics have to do with books?'

Apparently, I didn't know that the decorations in the Library were actually done by Librarians! Still confused, I listened to a talk by Jin Hao (2011 Head Librarian) regarding Library work and I was amazed: the Library isn't only about books!

That casted a new light on the Library for me. I finally understood that the Library is more than just books. Furthermore, I found the perfect place for me to gain knowledge and experience as well as more friends.

'I'm not a very sociable person. I don't like mixing with new people.'

When I told my senior that, she laughed and told me that in the Library, you have to be sociable. At that time, it scared me.

But after years of experience and laughter, I changed myself and excelled myself in many ways. I wasn't as shy and mousy as I was anymore. I became more sociable to the people around me, though I never spoke to some of you in the Library, I'm sorry for that though.

The biggest change in my life as a Librarian was when I was elected to be the Assistant Secretary of the Library Board. I was shocked, to say the least. I didn't expect me, of all people, to get the post; but my friend nudged me up front and told me that I deserved it. I took a few breaths and accepted it.

When I was officially the Assistant Secretary, I told myself that I have to work hard for the library. I was a blind bat with my job at first, but Kang Yee [2013 Secretary] is always there to help me and I'm grateful for that.

Now people, remember to come for meetings and hand in your co-curricular activities attendance cards! It'll be easier for me to type the minutes!

Just joking, but please make sure you attend meetings.

Many years in the Library, many experiences, much new knowledge, many new friends. Now that I think about it, the answer I should have given during my interview should not have been about books, but:

'I am eager to learn.'

Books do not make up the entire Library for a Librarian. When you waltz on the Librarians' path, there's experience, there's knowledge, and there may be mistakes and little mishaps.

The most important of all, there is love which radiates from the hearts of our brothers and sisters; there are sounds of laughter echoing behind the shelves, there are parting tears, when we see our beloved brothers and sisters step down from their thrones.

Yes, in the Library, we are one big family.

After years of experience, I finally understood. Being a Librarian isn't all about books; being a Librarian is about learning to be part of the big family.

Serene Khoo
Assistant Secretary (2013)

This post is part of a series that will feature heart-warming posts from the members of the High Committee of the 2013 Librarian Board.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More to read

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...