Tuesday 11 June 2013

Life of a Librarian


Quek Zuoo Yuon
Assistant Head (2013)
2010: FORM I
When I entered the school, I told myself that, by hook or by crook, I wanted to be a Librarian. Unfortunately, when the teacher in charge of recruiting Librarians came to my class, 1 Orkid, she said in Malay 'Who wants to be a Librarian?' .I raised my hand, but she [initially] rejected me. Who knew how lucky I was that day, though, because there was a extra application form, so she gave it to me. I was overly excited. I filled in the form and I handed it in. Then I was on probation. I passed [the Librarian Qualification Examination], and the tailors came to take our measurements to make my uniform. After having my uniform made, it was time for the Librarian Annual Camp. It was my first camp and I was excited. Having all kinds of cheeky and smart senior Librarians around, it was fun. At the end of the year, it was time for our Annual Librarian Banquet. I was a little kid, [who was] asked to join the drama troupe, I was a mirror, a mirror that was mistreated sadly. It was [then the] award giving ceremony. and SOMEHOW, I was awarded with the Cute Librarian Award.  After 2 more months, it was the end of the year, and our [most] senior Librarians had to leave. We all shed tears, but we couldn’t do anything [about it], because they have to move on, [and] all we could do was wish them well.

2011: FORM II
In my  second year, the same thing happened, but this time it [happened to] the new probationary Librarians. [Meanwhile], I am one of the senior Librarian. I was appointed as the Second-Former Committee Member that year. I had a normal year. Then, when it was time for the Annual Camp, I was the head of a group. I had butterflies in my stomach. I was so nervous, because it was my first time [heading a group]. Sadly I was a bad leader, [as] my group didn’t win anything. After the Librarian Annual Camp came the Annual Librarian Banquet. This year, I was asked by my boss, Brittany [2011 Assistant Head Librarian], to be the emcee of the event alongside Thazjit. We made a good team. We did [so] well [that] I was told that both of us were the best emcees in the history of Librarian events! You bet I was excited! Another amazing year had passed. [From that], the lesson that I learnt was 'if you want people to respect you when you are speaking, RESPECT OTHERS!' Hence, another year passes by and the most senior Librarians leave.

2013: FORM III
It was a challenging year [for me], because I had to face my PMR examinations [that year]. Despite that, I was appointed as the Head of the Audio Visual Aids Unit. Although I was still young and naïve, Puan Tan [former Library Coordinator] trusted in my ability. I was actually afraid and frightened, because I was still young and I didn’t think I was capable of leading the team, but I did it anyway. I was also pulled in by the new Head Librarian, Zi Qing to help plan the Librarian Annual Banquet, as I was part of the [planning] committee. I think I did a really terrible [job] and I will try to improve it this year. Everyone was worried how I would do in my PMR examinations, as I was also busy managing the Library. Guess what, I overcome that big problem by the skin of my teeth. Luckily, I scored [with] flying colours. Oh, where are my manners? [The] same thing happened [this year], the probationary Librarians came in, they qualified, then the most senior Librarians had to leave. It’s the same thing every year and it's [a] very sad [process]. During the Librarian Appointment Ceremony, the most senior Librarians retired and a new batch of Librarians took over the vacancies. I was surprised that I got the post of Assistant Head Librarian, as I was inexperienced and I [felt that I] did not deserved the position. However, Zi Qing didn’t want me to drop the position, so I just went on with it...

2013: FORM IV 
... and now I am a fourth-former, I hope I will do my best to serve the Library.
 
Quek Zuoo Yuon
Assistant Head (2013)
 
This post is part of a series that will feature heart-warming posts from the members of the High Committee of the 2013 Librarian Board.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More to read

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...