Sunday 11 August 2013

Highlights of 2012: Behind the scenes: Haunted house edition!



BOO! We have always associated this word with the … UNDEAD! Yes, I’m talking about haunted, old and creepy houses and yes, maybe a creepy school full of the UNDEAD.(well if you want to visit one, I suggest coming to SMK BU(3) Anyway, have you always wanted to get an inside story on how the haunted house works or maybe you want to get up close and personal with a … ghost? Well I was once part of these elite society, but my job in the haunted house (proudly managed by the SMK Bandar Utama Damansara (3) LIBRARIANS!) is now over and I have been transformed into a human. So here I am, telling my side of the story.

19th July, I woke up at 5.45a.m. As usual I took a shower, dressed myself and went down for a hearty breakfast of oatmeal and milk. My mom drove my brothers and me to school. Today was a free day, most of us librarians were busy putting finishing touches on the haunted house and doing test runs. On the way, it unexpectedly started raining and boy, was I wet. In class, our art teacher was absent so we had two free periods. Suddenly, one of the librarians, called my friend and I to go to the haunted house. While going down the stairs, I slipped and injured my right hand. What a swell way to start the day!

Then we went into the haunted house, and they were having a meeting. We sat down and I thought to myself, something is going wrong. I actually intended to NOT be a ghost but maybe a cashier. Suddenly, my name was called and I was a ghost, a little-girl-with-a-creepy-doll-who-died-early-while-playing-ghost poltergeist to be more specific. Never in my life have I had the courage to actually enter a haunted house and I was really looking forward to enter this one. But what’s done is done, I just have to accept and be grateful because there are others who are more willing to be one. I was also partnered with Su Min, who has much experience being a ghost so hopefully she can teach me the trick of the trade.

The test runs went smoothly so we just have to make the grand opening better than these ones. Next, we had to advertise the haunted house class by class and I was chosen to advertise it with my two friends. Firstly, we had to go make more copies of our awesome poster designed by Kiwan, Alisa and Mae Yen. Next, we started advertising and we took turns and somehow I did most of the talking. We had one last meeting before we went home to rest.

20th July, I woke up extra early, did my usual morning routine and went to school. At 7.15 a.m. we started face painting for effects and went into one more test run. After 24 hours of waiting, the haunted house was officially open for business. Hundreds of students lined up just to get an early tour of our haunted classroom. Oh, how melodious the screams were. Scaring them made me feel as if I have just won the jackpot. Group after group came and even one girl who was to chickened to go in went in and puked at the end. Some even burst into tears. I was thinking to myself, are we really terrifyingly scary? But then, we have the brave ones, coming in and keeping calm the whole tour as well as those whole came in more than one time.

Two hours later, finally a nice break for water and food. I could hear my stomach grumbling for food. And while looking for some food, students of SMK Bandar Utama Damansara (3) caught me buying food. Oh well, I think I have to eat them before my secret is revealed (and I get to save money). After a break, we had touch ups on our faces, 100 plus to replenish our quench and we were back in business. The final two hours was the best two hours of my life. Even three representatives from the teachers, came in and they ‘threatened’ to cut our marks for our upcoming exams if we laid one finger o them. All in all, it was a great experience.

I was devastated that the haunted house was over. Those 4 hours went by really fast but then time flies when you’re having fun. I hope the inside scoop on how the haunted house works inspire you. So, have a haunted house and you might end up like me, once a chicken but now an ‘ex’ ghost. Like my mama always said, life is a box of chocolate, you never know what you’re going to get. BOO!

By Anonymous Probationary Librarian, SMK Bandar Utama Damansara (3), Selangor
  
This post is part of the line-up ahead of the blog's second anniversary. All these posts will be taken from articles written by students featuring the school on School Times, the educational pull-out from the New Straits Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More to read

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...