Tuesday 27 August 2013

Student Highlights: A Class Above The Rest



Tan Jia Cheng: that was the student with the most outstanding PMR examination results in SMK Bandar Utama Damansara (3). Besides achieveing a glorious string of eight straight A’s, with the portfolio of being the best in Mandarin, Bahasa Melayu, Mathematics, and Geography, it little wonder that she had received a standing ovation when she was bestowed such an honour. How is it that this unsuspecting girl could achieve so much? The honourable individual spills the beans on  her secret recipe to success: 

What is the secret behind your success?
The inner calm within yourself when you’ve worked hard before the exams. During examinations,  I told myself that I might not get a satisfactory grade for a subject, the what’s important is the sense of accomplishemnt and joy when revising for the coming examinations. 

What was your reaction when you got your outstanding results? 
I was very grateful to my family members that has always prayed for my sucess and has supported me at all times. I was also very grateful to my friends and teachers who have helped me solve any problems that I face when I study. 

What is your opinion on the PMR examinations? 
In my opinion, PMR is actually not a very important examination in the life of a student. It is only important in making oneself worthy of entering a desired stream. 

What are the preparations that you’ve done a day before the PMR examinations? 
When I’ve finished revising for Bahasa Melayu [the first paper], I had slept early to ensure that I can face the examination on the next day with gusto. 

What are your plans for the future? 
I plan to take medicine when I enter college in the future. The medical profession has interested me. At the same time, I am also interested in writing and I might write my own novel in the future. 

How have you divided your time between academics, co-curricular activities and other social activities? 
As a person inclined towards academics, I prioritise it above co-curricular activities and other social activities. However, I like playing badminton as to playing other sports. Every weekend, I would do recreational activities such as jogging and playing badminton with my family members. 

Who has supported you in striving to succeed? 
My family members. They always reassured me that I am a useful and good individual. My friends also are willing to share their problems with me and have always motivated me to keep working hard. They have made it possible for me to enjoy every second of my life. 

What is your advice to soon-to-be PMR candidates out there? 
Don’t assume that the PMR examination is the only important thing in one’s lifetime. There are other things that we should give importance to in life, such as your family members, you friends, etc. They will still care for us and be proud of us even though we’ve failed in our examinations. Therefore, don’t get too stressed when the PMR examinations come by. 

By Kiwan Richard, 16, SMK Bandar Utama Damansara (3), Selangor 

This post is part of the line-up ahead of the blog's second anniversary. All these posts will be taken from articles written by students featuring the school on School Times, the educational pull-out from the New Straits Times.


No comments:

Post a Comment

More to read

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...